Gorgeous vegetarian recipe with stuffed aubergine in tomato sauce
change servings 4Print Recipe
- Pre-heated oven 190FAN
- High sided roasting tin
- 1 large aubergine
- 2 vine tomato cut into 1cm slices
- 250 g mozzarella balls 2 balls, cut into 1cm slices
- 400 ml passata
- 1 pinch sugar
- 45 ml olive oil
- 3 sprigs fresh basil
- 80 g Parmesan or cheddar or vegetarian hard cheese
- 2 cups couscous
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- Place the couscous into a large mixing bowl, dissolve the stock cube in boiling water and pour over enough water to cover the couscous by 1cm, cover the bowl with cling film (or a plate) and leave to absorb the stock. Leave to steep while you prepare the rest of the dinner. Once done, fluff with a fork (not a spoon – it will clump together), season with salt/pepper and serve with the aubergine.
- Prep the aubergine by slicing both in half lengthways then cut widthways stopping about an inch from the bottom (so you end up with hasselback aubergine halves). Place the aubergine in an oven proof dish, brush with olive oil and season with salt between the slices and bake for 15 minutes. Then remove from the oven and place a slice of vine tomato and then mozzarella in the aubergine – alternating as you do.
- Season the passata with salt, pepper, pinch of sugar and drizzle of olive oil and pour over the aubergines. Grate any cheese you are using over the top and bake for a further 20 minutes.Garnish with a few basil leaves before serving.
You can use courgette instead of aubergine (just don’t cut it in half lengthways – leave it whole). Perfect as a main dish or a hearty side for another day!
Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 663kcal | Carbohydrates: 86g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 23mg | Sodium: 257mg | Potassium: 995mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 1128IU | Vitamin C: 22mg | Calcium: 281mg | Iron: 3mg