Great family pasta recipe using vegetarian sausages
change servings 4Print Recipe
- 350 g orecchiette pasta or any other short pasta (penne, fusilli, etc.)
- 8 vegetarian sausages cut into bite size pieces
- 1 red onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 500 g passata
- 1 tbsp mixed dried herbs
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 100 g spinach
- 50 g cream cheese
- 10 g basil leaves for garnish, optional
- 40 g parmesan cheese for garnish, optional
- 1 baguette to serve
- Cook pasta in salted boiling water to packet instructions, you want al dente (a fraction under done), then drain.
- While the pasta is cooking, fry the onions and sliced sausages for a few minutes until the onions are soft then stir in the garlic and after 30 seconds add the dried herbs, passata, crumble in the stock cube and finally fold in the spinach leaves and leave to simmer gently. Season with salt/pepper.
- Once the pasta is just cooked, drain and fold into the pan with the sauce, leave to simmer for a minute to let the pasta soak up the flavour and finish by folding through the cream cheese and half the parmesan, if using.
- Serve in bowls with baguette with basil leaves and remaining parmesan grated over the top.
If you’re feeling carnivorous, swap vegetarian sausages for regular meat ones.
Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 748kcal | Carbohydrates: 121g | Protein: 39g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 21mg | Sodium: 1675mg | Potassium: 1035mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 3360IU | Vitamin C: 23mg | Calcium: 260mg | Iron: 10mg