Irini’s vegetable and sausage casserole
Mellow and delicious vegetable casserole crowned with a cumberland ring sausage by our own Masterchef winner!
change servings 4
- Preheated oven 180cFAN
- 3 rashers smoked streaky bacon sliced
- 8 Cumberland sausages
- 30 ml olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 leek finely sliced
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 3 carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 parsnip peeled and chopped
- 1 sweet potato peeled and diced
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 small red chili finely sliced, optional
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 6 frozen cauliflower florets
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 150 ml hot water
- 2 bay leaf
- 0.5 tsp turmeric
- 10 g fresh parsley chopped
- 2 baguette to serve
- Place sausages on a parchment lined baking tray in pre-heated oven for 30 minutes.
- Fry the bacon in a little olive oil for a few minutes then remove with a slotted spoon onto a plate.
- Fry the onions and leeks in the same pan the bacon was cooking in for a minutes, then add the garlic, carrots, parsnips, sweet potato, bell pepper and chilli, if using, and continue cooking for a few more minutes.
- Add the tomato puree, turmeric, tinned tomatoes, bay leaves, stock cube and hot water and stir together. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat, cover and cook for a few minutes. Lastly, add the cauliflower florets and return the bacon to the pan, cover and cook on a low heat for approx. 30 minutes, check the vegetables are tender but still holding their shape and the sauce has thickened.
- Once done, remove from the heat, tip the juices from the sausages into the pan with the vegetables, stir and place the sausages on top finishing with a little parsley. Serve with bread.
This is an easy one to use leftovers for or to turn vegan by removing the bacon for a teaspoon marmite (seriously) and enjoying all the veg without the sausage!
Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 587kcal | Carbohydrates: 99g | Protein: 40g | Fat: 59g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Cholesterol: 123mg | Sodium: 2101mg | Potassium: 1301mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 17798IU | Vitamin C: 78mg | Calcium: 199mg | Iron: 8mg