Sweet Potato & Broccoli Calzone – sponsored by Fruit Bowl
These ‘pizza pockets’ are great for kids as you can include any leftover or pre-cooked vegetables and not only taste great but are a lot of fun to make.
change servings 4
- Pre-heated oven 200FAN/220c
- Rolling Pin
- Mixing bowl
- frying pan
- 15 ml olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 sweet potato peeled, diced 1 cm cubes
- 1 head of broccoli coarsely chopped
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 100 g cheddar cheese grated
- 1 mozzarella ball
- 1 egg whisked
- Pinch flour for dusting
- 325 g short-crust pastry pre-made/shop bought
- Start by preparing the sweet potato and frying in a little olive oil.
- Prepare the rest of the ingredients while the sweet potato is cooking.
- Add the onions and garlic to the pan with the sweet potato, followed by the broccoli.
- Pour in about 100ml water (careful as it will create a lot of steam) and immediately cover and leave to steam for about 5-10 minutes.
- Once the sweet potato and vegetables are tender remove from the heat, stir in the tomato puree, season and leave to cool while you prepare the pastry.
- Roll out pastry to thickness of 3mm and cut into four equal squares.
- Line baking tray with parchment, place one pastry square on tray.
- Spoon a quarter of the filling onto one half of the pastry
- Sprinkle over some cheese and ripped mozzarella
- Wet the edge of the pastry around the filling with the whisked egg and fold pastry over filling and seal the edge by pressing down and clipping together with your fingertips.
- Brush with eggwash and continue until all four calzones are done.
- Pierce each one with a knife to allow the steam to escape and bake in pre-heated oven for approx. 20 minutes or until top is golden; remove and serve!
- Serve with side salad or baked beans!
Try adding smoked sausage, leftover chicken or chorizo to the vegetables.
Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 560kcal | Carbohydrates: 84g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 70mg | Sodium: 262mg | Potassium: 1081mg | Fiber: 15g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 9313IU | Vitamin C: 140mg | Calcium: 336mg | Iron: 5mg