Cuban inspired Pork Strips w Roasted Veg
Very little hands on time makes light work of this aromatic Cuban inspired recipe
change servings 4Print Recipe
- Pre-heated oven 200FAN/220c
- baking tray
- frying pan
Cuban Pork Belly
- 1 kg pork belly strips
- 1 orange
- 1 lime
- 30 ml olive oil
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 4 cloves garlic crushed/chopped
- 5 g fresh coriander chopped
- 1 pinch chili flakes optional
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 750 g new potatoes sliced 1cm pieces
- 2 bell pepper cut into chunks
- 2 courgette cut into 1cm discs
- 2 red onion cut into quarters
- 15 ml olive oil
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- Par-boil the potatoes for five minutes to make slightly tender, drain leave to steam dry for a minute.
- Put all the vegetables into a roasting tray, including the potatoes, drizzle with a little oil, sprinkle salt and pinch ground cumin – roast for 30 minutes.
Cuban style dressing
- Squeeze the juice of 1 orange (about 250ml) into a bowl along with juice 1 lime.
- Add a good splash of olive oil to a pan and fry the garlic and ground cumin for a minute, but don't colour then pour the oil, garlic everything into the bowl with the orange/lime juice – add a pinch salt and reserve (you can add a pinch chili flakes if you like).
- Trim any excess fat off the pork belly strips, season with salt, pepper and ground cumin with a drizzle of olive oil. Massage it all in.
- Fry the pork belly strips in a hot pan for about 4 minutes each side – you want them well coloured. Remove the pan from the heat and immediately pour over the dressing, spooning it over the meat and leave to rest for five minutes.
- Serve a good portion of vegetables with the pork strips and a generous spoonful of the sauce from the frying pan.
It’s all about the sauce – great with fish and chicken!
Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 995kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 50g | Fat: 66g | Saturated Fat: 21g | Cholesterol: 180mg | Sodium: 466mg | Potassium: 2118mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 2294IU | Vitamin C: 160mg | Calcium: 144mg | Iron: 7mg