A rich red wine ragu with lentils and seafood for this hearty delicious dish. Use any seafood you like
change servings 4Print Recipe
- frying pan
- Saucepan + Lid
- 250 g king prawns frozen is OK
- 500 g mussels vacuum sealed, discard sauce
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 250 ml red wine
- 1 tbsp mixed dried herbs
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 0.5 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tin green lentils 400g – rinsed, drained
- 1 tsp sugar
- 20 ml fish sauce 1 tbsp, optional
- 1 pinch chipotle flakes
- 5 g fresh parsley chopped
- 200 g basmati rice
- Add the rice to a saucepan with double the amount of hot water (1 cup rice = 2 cups water) plus pinch salt. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce the heat and leave to cook for 12 minutes.
Seafood Lentil Ragu
- Fry onion in a little olive oil for a few minutes until soft then stir in the garlic for 30 seconds before pouring in the red wine and mixed dried herbs and reducing the wine by two-thirds.
- Once the wine is reduced, squeeze in the tomato puree, add the tinned tomatoes (plus half a tin of water), lentils, sugar, fish sauce, salt and pepper and spices and simmer for 8 minutes until thicker, then stir in the prawns and mussels and cook for a few more minutes until the prawns are pink and cooked through.
- Serve on rice with pinch of chipotle flakes, a little extra drizzle of olive oil and chopped fresh parsley.
Use vacuum sealed mussels for convenience or upgrade with a few extra large prawns added at the end.
Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 364kcal | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 97mg | Sodium: 944mg | Potassium: 555mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 882IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 93mg | Iron: 4mg