Enjoy our very own Masterchef’s family pot roast
Simon Wood’s Beef Pot Roast
Delicious family dinner with Masterchef winner and restauranteur Simon Wood – serve with mashed or roast potatoes and your choice of greens
change servings 6Print Recipe
- Slow Cooker OR Pre-heated oven 180c FAN
- 750 g beef joint (silverside)
- 30 ml olive oil
- 2 celery sticks chopped large chunks
- 4 carrots peeled and sliced
- 3 shallots or onions, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic crushed
- 300 ml red wine
- 250 ml beef stock
- 4 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 50 g butter
- Rub olive oil all over the beef and then season the joint well with Maldon sea salt & black pepper. Heat1 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan then add the joint and brown it on all sides. Remove the joint from the pan and place in the casserole dish or slow cooker, make sure it’s large enough to fit the joint and all the vegetables.
- In the same pan you browned the beef add your butter, olive oil and once hot add your shallots, gently dust over your cornflour and cook out for 5-6 minutes before adding to your casserole dish.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to the frying pan and brown all the chopped vegetables for a few minutes then arrange them around the joint in the casserole pot / slow cooker. Add the crushed garlic cloves, red wine, beef stock, bay leaves and dried oregano to the casserole and bring to the boil.
- Cover the casserole with a lid and cook in the preheated oven for 2 hours (or about 8 hours in the slow cooker, turning the meat over halfway. Note: if using slow cooker, remove the lid for an hour at the end to help reduce the sauce.
- Serve with roast or mashed potatoes and plenty of people!