Don’t waste those Halloween pumpkins! Here’s a great recipe to use up those pumpkins.
Makes 1 pie
Pre-heated oven @ 180c FAN
8inch pastry tin
- 500g raw pumpkin flesh skinned and cut into 2 inch chunks
- 100g brown soft sugar
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 150ml double cream
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated of nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- Good pinch salt
- Few good grinds of black pepper
- 320g ready-made shortcrust pastry
- Drizzle the pumpkin flesh with olive oil and roast in pre-heated oven for 25-30 minutes, until it softens and takes on a little colour then remove from the oven to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare your pastry by rolling out to about 3mm thick, then line the base of your baking tin.
- Blind bake the pastry for 30 minutes (lay sheet of parchment paper over pastry and add some baking balls (I use some uncooked rice which works just as well!), remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Once the pumpkin flesh cool, blend (or mash really well) and push through a course sieve to remove any stringy pieces. Then add the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly (it will look a lot lighter in colour than the picture before cooking).
- Pour the mixture into your cooked pastry base, pop back into the pre-heated oven for 30-40 mins, it should have a very slight wobble (test by inserting a sharp knife into the pie – if it comes out clean it is cooked, if not, pop it back into the oven for five minutes).
- Serve with whipped cream once cool.