Delicious easy mushroom carbonara, one the whole family will love!
change servings 4
- large frying pan
- 350 g spaghetti
- 250 g mushrooms finely chopped
- 45 ml olive oil
- 3 eggs
- 50 g parmesan cheese finely grated – or vegetarian equivalent
- 10 g fresh parsley chopped
- 30 ml milk couple tbsp
- 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- Start with the mushrooms; fry the mushrooms in a little oil in a smoking hot frying pan for about 5 minutes or until they are dark golden and all liquid from the mushrooms has evaporated, then turn the heat to low and add the garlic.
- While the mushrooms are frying, put the spaghetti on; cooking it to packet instructions for al dente (cooked but still a little firm), when the spaghetti is done you should be ready to finish the dish; turn off the heat and leave the spaghetti in the water.
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs into a bowl along with a splash of milk, the grated parmesan, parsley and season generously with black pepper and pinch of salt.
- The residual heat of the spaghetti and frying pan is what 'cooks' the eggs to make your sauce so try to assemble the dish while everything is still hot!
- Once the spaghetti is done, add a couple of tablespoons of the cooking liquid to the eggs then drain the spaghetti and immediately stir the spaghetti into the pan with the mushrooms (turn the heat off now) then immediately pour in the egg mixture – it's important to now keeping moving the pasta; turning and lifting the pasta with a fork or tongs t 'cook' the sauce and stop it curdling. If it gets too thick; add a splash of pasta cooking liquid.
- Leave this to rest for a moment, then divide amongst your serving bowls and finish with a little scattering of any leftover parsley and parmesan cheese.
Try adding diced pancetta at the start or go full vegan and swap eggs for vegan double cream and non-animal based cheese
Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 542kcal | Carbohydrates: 69g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 132mg | Sodium: 261mg | Potassium: 475mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 486IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 199mg | Iron: 2mg