Helen Bedford’s Coq au Vin
A classic dish that never fails to satisfy! We include new potatoes with the cooking to make this more of a one-pot mid-week recipe, but goes equally as well with mashed potatoes!
change servings 4Print Recipe
- pre-heated oven 190Fan / 210c
- 1 large casserole dish/frying pan + lid
- 1 saucepan
Coq au vin
- 1 kg chicken drumsticks and thighs about 10 pieces
- 15 ml olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 180 g smoked lardons or bacon chopped if bacon
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 4 carrots peeled and sliced 1 inch pieces
- 2 onions sliced
- 1.5 tbsp flour
- 500 ml red wine or white!
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 2 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 250 g mushrooms quartered
- 5 g fresh parsley chopped
- 750 g new potatoes cut 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups frozen peas
- In a large pan or casserole dish, brown the chicken pieces in a splash of olive oil then set aside. Then brown the lardons (or bacon) till crispy then set aside with the chicken. Finally, fry the onions till slightly charred then add the flour to the onions, stir and return the chicken and bacon/lardons back into the pan.
- Add the butter and cook on a low heat for a couple of minutes then pour in the wine and crumble in the stock cube, herbs, tomato puree, carrots and about half a cup of water (approx 125ml) and season generously with salt and black pepper.
- Stir everything together till incorporated, then scatter over the top the new potatoes, bring to a boil then cover with a lid and place into the oven for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked.
- While chicken is cooking, fry the mushrooms in a little oil for a couple of minutes, then add the garlic and cook for a few more minutes on a low heat to avoid the garlic burning. Once the coq au vin is cooked, remove from the oven and stir in the garlic mushrooms.
- Serve with peas and garnish with chopped parsley.
Add a splash of cognac or brandy with the wine for extra oomph and swap onions for shallots.
Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 733kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 40g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 128mg | Sodium: 429mg | Potassium: 1809mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 10589IU | Vitamin C: 52mg | Calcium: 101mg | Iron: 5mg