Christianna’s Korean Mince
Great alternative to the standard chili con carne with this Korean style mince
change servings 4
- Saucepan + Lid
- Frying pan x2
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 750 g beef mince or any other mince
- 4 cloves garlic grated
- 1 inch fresh ginger grated
- 60 ml honey
- 60 ml soy sauce or tamari
- 30 ml sesame oil
- 1 tsp chili flakes optional
- 1 tsp sesame seeds optional
- 320 g Chinese mixed vegetables
- 250 g basmati rice 1 cup
- 500 ml hot water
- 1 lime garnish
- 3 spring onions sliced, garnish
- 10 g fresh coriander chopped, garnish
- Rice: add the rice to the saucepan with a pinch of salt and the hot water (whatever amount of rice add double the amount of hot water), bring to a boil, then reduce to a gentle simmer, cover and cook for 12 minutes. Remove from the heat and let rest until ready to use.
- TIP: if you can always include the vegetables with the mince if you don't want to wash another pan! Fry the vegetables in a pan with a splash of olive oil for a few minutes, then add a tablespoon of water to quickly steam them. Finish with a little drizzle of sesame oil and sesame seeds and reserve.
- Make the sauce; mix the honey, soy sauce, half the sesame oil and chili flakes if using, set aside.
- Add the mince, garlic and ginger into a hot pan and cook for about 8-10 minutes until cooked through and slightly tinged then add the sauce and simmer for a couple of more minutes until reduced.
- Taste and adjust; add more chilli if you want it spicier, more soy sauce if you want it saltier, finally serve on rice garnished with coriander, spring onions.
Try with any mince you want or with quorn for a vegetarian version or top up with more veg!
Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 875kcal | Carbohydrates: 67g | Protein: 39g | Fat: 49g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Cholesterol: 133mg | Sodium: 979mg | Potassium: 687mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 407IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 77mg | Iron: 5mg