Our homemade take on a family favourite!
change servings 4Print Recipe
- 3 bowls
- frying pan
- Saucepan + Lid
- Cling film
- Rolling pin or flat bottomed saucepan (or bottle of wine!)
- 250 g basmati rice 1 cup
- 500 ml hot water
- 4 chicken breast one each
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 150 g breadcrumbs panko or regular store bought
- 60 ml vegetable oil
- 45 ml ketchup
- 30 ml honey
- 15 ml vinegar cider or any other (not balsamic)
- 1 lime
- 15 ml soy sauce
Rest of dish
- 4 carrot peeled, cut into batons
- 250 g peas frozen is fine
- 250 g sweetcorn frozen or tinned
- Cook the rice in double the amount of salted boiling water (1 rice = 2 water) bring to a boil, cover, turn heat to low and cook for 12 minutes. Leave covered once cooked
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. Tip: roll the lime with some pressure first on a work surface to soften it before cutting and squeezing the juice from it (you'll get more rolling it first). Place to one side and reserve.
- Place 3 bowls in a line; fill first bowl with flour, second with whisked eggs, third with breadcrumbs.
- Place chicken breast between two sheets of cling film and bash with a rolling pin (or wine bottle or base of a saucepan) until chicken is half an inch thick (give or take). Continue until all four breasts are done; it doesn't matter if they look a little scraggy.
- Take the first breast and dust it in the bowl with flour, then dip into the eggs, shake off the excess egg wash and finally pat it down in the breadcrumbs; place on a plate. Continue with the rest of the breasts.
- Shallow fry the chicken breaded chicken breasts in vegetable oil for about 5 minutes each side or until cooked through and golden. Repeat with the rest (you can place them in a warm oven to keep warm).
- While the chicken is cooking simmer the peas and sweetcorn in a pot of salted boiling water until cooked through then remove from the heat. Leave them in the hot water until you are ready to serve.
- Peel the carrots and cut into batons (quarter them lengthways, then cut into thirds).
- Slice the chicken breast into strips and serve on top of the rice with the vegetables to the side and the Amai sauce in little bowls.
This works equally as well with fish fillets or flattened tofu for a vegetarian version
Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 886kcal | Carbohydrates: 102g | Protein: 64g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 226mg | Sodium: 655mg | Potassium: 1505mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 11086IU | Vitamin C: 40mg | Calcium: 90mg | Iron: 4mg