Valentina’s Spaghetti Vongole
A classic Italian recipe by our Italian guest chef ValentinaPrint Recipe
change servings 4
- 1.5 kg clams live or vacuum sealed or other seafood
- 350 g spaghetti
- 90 ml olive oil
- 200 ml white wine optional
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 6 g fresh parsley chopped
- Cook spaghetti to packet instructions (about 8 minutes in salted water), then drain, saving a cup of liquid and reserve.
- Heat a large pan with half the oil and add the garlic, warm through for a couple of minutes then pour into a bowl to use later.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the pan along with the wine and simmer until reduced by half, about five minutes. If using fresh/live mussels or clams add them to the pan at the start (discard any that don't open), if using pre-cooked or prawns add them just before the end to cook through. Once hot, re-introduce the garlic oil from earlier into the pan, bring to a simmer then remove from the heat.
- Once the spaghetti is cooked, add it to the pan with the seafood along with 1 cup (250ml) of the cooking liquid and toss the pasta frequently to emulsify the sauce. Finally, add the parsley, plenty freshly ground black pepper and transfer to a warmed platter or bowl. Serve at once.
You can use raw or pre-cooked clams or mussels or even swap for different seafood e.g. prawns – it won’t strictly be a vongole but it’ll taste great!
Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 663kcal | Carbohydrates: 79g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 17mg | Sodium: 348mg | Potassium: 293mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 295IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 52mg | Iron: 3mg