Upside down chicken pie – a total winner!
This upside down chicken pie is a total cheat! You'll love our secret ingredient!
change servings 4Print Recipe
- Pre-heated oven 200FAN
- Baking tray lined with parchment
- frying pan
- Rolling Pin
- 320 g puff pastry
- 3 chicken breast cubed
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tin cream chicken soup
- 150 g mushrooms sliced
- 15 ml olive oil
- 1 g thyme
- 10 g gravy granules about 2 tbsp
- 15 g flour for dusting work surface
- 10 ml milk
- 200 g green beans
- On a lightly dusted worksurface roll the pastry into sheets about the thickness of a pound coin then cut into 8 squares about 5×5 inches. Brush half the squares with milk and place the rest of the squares of pastry on top – you'll now have 4 double layer squares (you can make more if you have enough pastry!). Bake on a baking tray lined with parchment for 18-20 minutes.
- Once the puff pastry is done, remove from the oven and cut a square inside each puffed up pastry package leaving about an inch border from the edge. Try not to cut through the bottom, and push down the middle creating a container.
- While the pastry is cooking make some gravy using the gravy granules and water to the packet instructions and trim the stalk end of the green beans and cook in salted water for five minutes, then drain and keep warm.
- Cook the onions and garlic in olive oil for 2 minutes then add the chicken, mushrooms and thyme and brown the chicken for a minute before pouring in 2/3 of the tin of soup and continue on a gentle simmer for five minutes until the sauce has thickened and the chicken is cooked (simmer longer for a thicker sauce or add more soup if too thick).
- Finally, place the pastry cases on each serving plate and divide the filling amongst the four pastry boxes, serve with fine beans and gravy (if you have any chicken soup leftover pour this into the gravy!)
You can make this a vegan version by swapping out the chicken for a variety of vegetables and obviously use a thick vegetable soup as your cheat!
Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 611kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 37g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 48mg | Sodium: 295mg | Potassium: 591mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 368IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 39mg | Iron: 3mg