Thai Inspired Green Chicken Curry
This easy Thai inspired green curry is great for the whole family, if you have a food processor/blender its even quicker to make, otherwise a standard box grater does the trick!
change servings 4Print Recipe
- Food processor or box grater
- frying pan
- Saucepan + Lid
- 3 chicken breasts cut in thin strips
- 1 onion cut into chunks
- 1 red bell pepper cut into chunks
- 20 ml olive oil
- 15 ml fish sauce
- 7.5 ml light soy sauce
- 1 lime
- 1 tin coconut milk about 400g
- 1 tsp salt
- 15 ml honey or sugar
- 150 g sugar snap peas
- 1 tbsp cornflour optional if you want the sauce thicker
- 10 g fresh coriander stalks used for paste, chop leaves for garnish
- 1 green jalapeno chili seeds & pith removed for less heat
- 3 cloves garlic coarsely chopped
- 2 inches fresh ginger peeled & cubed
- 1 onion small, cut into chunks
- 1 stick lemongrass optional
- 200 g basmati rice
- Place rice and double the amount of water (1 cup rice = 2 cups water) into saucepan, bring to boil, cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 12 minutes. Leave lid on once done.
- Add all ingredients to a food processor with a small splash of water and blend till smooth.
- If you don't have food processor; chop lemongrass (if using), coriander stalks and chili as fine as possible and use a box grater to grate the ginger, garlic and onion, mix all together.
- Add oil to pan and fry the chunks of onion and bell pepper for a couple of minutes until charred. Then pour in the curry paste and continue cooking on medium heat, stirring frequently to stop it catching for three minutes then add the chicken and combine.
- Pour in the coconut milk, fish sauce, soy, honey and salt and bring the whole thing to a gentle simmer for about 5 minutes to reduce the sauce and ensure chicken is cooked through, drop in the sugar snap peas for the last couple of minutes just to warm through.
- Finish with a squeeze of lime juice (about half a lime) and scatter in the coriander leaves. Taste, adjusting it to your preference (honey for sweeter, fish sauce or lime) and serve on rice.
- NOTE: if you want the sauce thicker; make a slurry of 1 tbsp of cornflour and 2 tbsp cold water, stir it in and warm through. If you like it HOT! add more chili at the end.
The curry paste is perfect with just about everything! Swap chicken for fish or seafood, or leave out the fish sauce and top with extra mangetout and baby sweetcorn for a vegan version (and swap the honey for sugar/agave syrup).
Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 501kcal | Carbohydrates: 58g | Protein: 42g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 108mg | Sodium: 1196mg | Potassium: 974mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 1569IU | Vitamin C: 73mg | Calcium: 68mg | Iron: 2mg