Gourmet Christmas Dinner – Elsewhere | Vegan/Vegetarian
Servings: 1Print Recipe
change servings 1
- Box grater
- Frying pan + slotted turner
- Small bowl
- Chopping Board & Knife
- 1 white potatoes size of a fist
- Pinch chili flakes
- 30 ml olive oil
- 60 ml cranberry sauce
- 1/4 red onion diced
- 15 ml water
- 4 brussel sprouts
- 15 ml butter or vegan alternative
- 1 parsnip peeled, quartered lengthways
- 30 ml olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 50 g stuffing from packet
- 100 ml hot water
- 1 tbsp mixed seeds optional
- 100 g firm tofu or 250g halloumi
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cloves garlic
- 1 sprig thyme
- 15 ml olive oil
- 250 ml red wine
- 15 ml butter vegan alternative
- Grate the potato, then squeeze to release some of the liquid. Season with salt/pepper and chili flakes if using. Heat a frying pan with olive oil, take half the grated potato and flatten into a thin rosti (about 1/4 inch thick – give or take).
- Lay the rosti into the hot oil – don’t touch it! Leave it to colour and cook for about 3-4minutes, then carefully using the slotted turner flip it over and cook the otherside for another 3 minutes. Remove on to a warm plate.
- Mix all the ingredients together and reserve
- Brussel sprouts – fry in hot butter for 3 minutes, season with salt/pepper then reserve and keep warm.
- Parsnip – fry the prepared parsnip in olive oil until brown then add a small splash of water, sugar and cumin seeds, cover immediately and cook for five minutes. Leave in the pan to keep warm.
- Stuffing – mix stuffing, seeds and water together and reserve.
- Place the tofu between two plates with a weight on top to expel some moisture (no need with the halloumi, just slice in half).
- When ready, season the tofu or halloumi with salt, pepper and spices and a little flour. Heat a frying pan with the olive oil, garlic clove and thyme and fry the tofu/halloumi for about 2 minutes each side and keep warm.
- Pour the wine into the frying pan you just cooked the tofu/halloumi in and reduce by two-thirds. Remove from the heat and once it stops bubbling add the butter (or vegan alternative) and swirl the pan to emulsify.
- Assemble the dish – place the rosti on a plate, top with all the sides finishing with the main ingredient. Dot the cranberry salsa around the plate and drizzle over the red wine reduction.