Elsewhere Christmas Burrito – Vegan/vegetarian
Servings: 2Print Recipe
change servings 2
- Mixing bowl
- Small bowl x2
- Plate x2
- Chopping board + kitchen knife
- frying pan
- 100 g firm tofu or 250g halloumi
- 15 ml olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1/2 cup water or milk
- Pinch sugar/salt
- 60 ml Cranberry sauce
- 1/4 red onion diced
- 15 ml water
- 4 brussel sprouts shredded
- 1 tbsp butter omit for vegan
- 1 parsnip
- 15 ml olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 50 g stuffing from packet
- 100 ml hot water
- 1 tbsp mixed seeds
- Combine all the flatbread ingredients in a mixing bowl and combine with a fork until you reach a ‘scraggy mess’. Tip onto a clean lightly dusted work surface and knead with your hands until you reach a dough-like consistency; adding more water/milk or flour until it comes together.
- Divide the dough into small golf ball sized pieces and roll out until they are ¼ inch thick (if you don't have a rolling pin – a bottle of wine works!). Heat a dry frying pan and lay one flat bread at a time, cooking for a couple of minutes each side. Wrap in a towel or cover to keep warm.
- Mix all the ingredients together and reserve
- Brussel sprouts – fry in hot butter for 2-3 minutes, season with salt/pepper and reserve.
- Parsnip – peel and quarter lengthways, fry in hot oil until browned all over, then add a splash of water, the cumin seeds and sugar, cover immediately with a lid and leave to cook for five minutes.
- Stuffing – mix ingredients together and reserve
Tofu or Halloumi
- If using tofu, place in between two plates at the start with a weight on top to help squeeze out some of the moisture.If using Halloumi, simply halve lengthways (no need to press like the tofu!)
- When ready, season the tofu/halloumi all over with salt, pepper and the spices and a little flour then fry in a hot pan with a splash of oil for about 2 minutes each side.
- Spoon a streak of cranberry salsa over the flatbread, lay the brussel sprouts, parsnip and stuffing along the salsa finishing with the tofu or halloumi – wrap it up and take a bite!
- Buy supermarket brand produce – it’s cheaper and your chef instructor is awesome; it’ll still taste great 🙂
- Salt – don’t forget your salt, whatever they say; everything tastes better with it.
- If using tofu – please buy ‘firm’ tofu not silken
Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 560kcal | Carbohydrates: 60g | Protein: 45g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 119mg | Sodium: 1007mg | Potassium: 843mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1502IU | Vitamin C: 46mg | Calcium: 464mg | Iron: 3mg