Acamp – Vegan/Vegetarian Gyros
Servings: 2Print Recipe
change servings 2
- Mixing bowl
- Small bowl x2
- Plate x2
- Chopping board + kitchen knife
- frying pan
- Rolling Pin
- Pestle and mortar (optional)
- 100 g firm tofu (vegan) or halloumi (vegetarian)
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup self raising flour
- 45 ml oil – any
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1/2 cup water
- Pinch sugar/salt
Fiery Feta Tzatziki
- 1/2 cup Vegan yogurt (or Greek yogurt for vegetarian)
- 100 g vegan hard cheese (or feta for vegetarian)
- 1 green chili or 1 tbsp hot sauce
- 1 cloves garlic
- 1 vine tomato diced
- 1/2 tin chickpeas lightly crushed
- Combine all the flatbread ingredients in a mixing bowl and combine with a fork until you reach a ‘scraggy mess’. Tip onto a clean lightly dusted work surface and kneed with your hands until you reach a dough-like consistency; adding more water/milk or flour until it comes together.
- Divide the dough into small golf ball sized pieces and roll out until they are ¼ inch thick (if you don't have a rolling pin – a bottle of wine works!). Heat a dry frying pan and lay one flat bread at a time, cooking for a couple of minutes each side. Wrap in a towel or cover to keep warm.
- Chop the chili then use a pestle and mortar or the side of a knife with a pinch of salt to crush the chili as much as possible. Add all the ingredients, including the chili to a bowl with a pinch of salt and mix thoroughly until combined. Taste, adding more chili, salt or lemon juice to your preference.
Tofu version (vegan)
- Place the block of tofu between two plates and put a heavyweight on top – leave this for 15 minutes to expel moisture which will help firm up the tofu.
- Once done, pour away excess liquid, slice the tofu into 1 inch thick strips and season with salt, pepper, any spices you have and dust heavily in flour. In a hot frying pan, add a splash of oil and lay the tofu in the pan – fry on a high heat for a minute each side until golden.
Halloumi version (vegetarian)
- If using halloumi, cut into 1 inch slabs. Season with pepper any spices you have and dust in a little flour. In a hot frying pan, add a splash of oil and lay the halloumi into the pan – cook for 1 minute each side or until golden.
- Spoon a streak of tzatziki over the flatbread, lay the tofu or halloumi on top, scatter over the garnish ingredients, any fresh herbs you might have and wrap it up and take a bite!
- Buy supermarket brand produce – it’s cheaper and your chef instructor is awesome; it’ll still taste great 🙂
- If you have at home any paprika, cumin or fresh herbs – bring them with you; we’ll put them to good use.
- Salt – don’t forget your salt, whatever they say; everything tastes better with it.
Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 543kcal | Carbohydrates: 79g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 300mg | Potassium: 355mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1258IU | Vitamin C: 44mg | Calcium: 156mg | Iron: 3mg